Wednesday, April 03, 2013

[Poema 2.5] Laura Rivas: Una xicana exiliada en Oakland




2.6.09

A Xicana exile in Oakland
There are some things that shouldn’t be written
And can only be felt

And there are other things that must be written
Are already written
That we cannot afford to feel

I don’t like writing and yet it carries me like water
All my favorite writers
Use metaphors of water, light, food,
Things that awaken our senses

Why exiled? Because I cannot return
Or because I was forced to leave?
In resistance I chose never to return
And at times I feel I never really left

The Roma say nostalgia is a longing
For a home one never really had
A return that is impossible
After generations displaced and dispossessed
The journey is our home
Migrations and movements
Nos alimentan

###

I want to write a poem about survival
But I want it to be strong
Like my ancestors in the past
Who fought and resisted
the annihilation of our people, culture, mother tongue
Like my ancestors today
Who stand on street corners selling oranges
looking for work, cleaning your homes, raising your children.
Resisting death every day
Resisting the heaviness of poverty
Resisting depression, anxiety, isolation
Fighting to live, breathe, smell clean air

Survival

###

How long would it take me to write a poem?

20 minutes
20 hours
20 weeks
or 20 years

I started writing about my life at the age of 10.
My first journal my refuge
For an isolated child
No warm hand to hold
Shoulders too tired to lean on
Ears too busy for me
Spilled out words
About what she had to survive
Endure
Hide
And struggle with for the rest of her life

My pen and paper took me places I could never afford to go
In my mind I wandered off the map
Got lost and didn’t care that they may not find me
That I might go hungry or get cold

###

2. 10. 09

last night an unexpected reunion
of exiles
wordsmiths
crafters of imagination
words take flight
from underneath dim lights
spilling warmth
comfort
art.

Poetry of place
You mean I can write about that place
That sad buried place
I carry in me like marrow?
Bone marrow.
It’s in my bones, she said
And I felt shivers

Lynwood is a small place
Like Antigua
A small place in the middle of an urban ocean
“The armpit of L.A.”

Where metal birds swoop low
Overtaking sounds of children playing
Laughing señoras with colorful mandiles
Hanging from jiggling bellies

Where nopales and rosales grow
In the midst of grafitti, LA smog, drive-by shootings, and droughts
Teaching persistence and survival

Where children ride skateboards on their knees
Wear rollerblades 3 sizes too big

Where bottles and cans decorate lawns
Yellow, green, and brown with wooden sticks to hold up skinny trees

A small place where I was born
A small place that raised me
To see with my heart and act with integrity
A small place that could not hold me anymore
A small place that exploded with urban uprising in the 90’s
And spit out children with fear in their eyes
Violence on their minds
Resistance in their hearts
Songs of hope on their tongues

A small place where we looked up and saw stars
Lined up perfectly in the sky
Connect-the-dots one by one
A little closer a sparkle and then another
O wait! It’s an airplane not a star

A small place ‘mistaking planes for stars’

-
References made to poems by Aida Salazar and Raquel from Butchlalis of
Panochtitlan, from the reading at Galeria de la Raza one chilly Monday evening
at an event called “mistaking planes for stars”

------

Migrante (In)migrante quieres ser mi amante?
2.17.09

Por el día del amor y la amistad
Porque nuestra gente se dispone a dejarlo todo, hasta su propia vida… por amor
Porque mi gente me sigue enseñado todo lo que es del amor y la amistad

Una jornada imposible al parecer
Te enfrentas a riesgos inolvidables
Inaguantables
Intolerantes
Inevitables

Porque aquí no te abren las puertas
Barreras sobre barreras
Sobre tierra y dentro del mar
Bajo cielos azules y estrellas conmovedoras

Paredes y fronteras te dicen que no
Tus niños familia demuestran que sí
Es posible pero más que nada es
Necesario
Para llenar esos ojitos de esperanza
Con un poquito de pan
Y leche para nutrir un corazonsito que solo sabe de
Su padre dentro de marcos decorados
por fotos y recuerdos guardados en el alma de su madre
y de su abuela

por allá dicen que somos indocumentados
entre mi gente somos los que aguantan
somos los que luchan
somos los que sufren
y despiertan con hambre
se acuestan con frío

trabajan sin protección sin derechos sin exigir demasiado

Pero también somos dignos
De una vida justa y humana
De darle a nuestros hijos
El sudor de nuestra frente en forma de un tierno abrazo y un ‘te quiero’

Somos un pueblo de buen Corazón
Somos de canela pura
Somos la sal de la tierra
Somos la caña dulce de un dia largo y asoleado

Somos el hoy ayer y mañana
Somos el Nuevo amanecer
Somos la nueva luna
La luna llena
El tochtli aventurero
Que canta con las estrellas

Somos el fuego que arde
Que consume
Que deja todo
Y abre caminos para poder empezar otra vez

Somos desierto, mar y montaña

Somos los hijos y los nietos soñadores
Ilusionados con la vida a pesar del profundo dolor
De la separación y la distancia

Somos aquí y somos allá
La lucha seguirá!

Somos amor
Somos cariño, ternura e ilusión
Todo por una vida mejor
… por un pequeño mundo mejor
Donde el amor no nos cueste la vida
Donde el hambre no nos lleve a la muerte bajo un sol ardiente
Donde el trabajo no nos desbarate los pulmones, brazos, espaldas, cuellos, cinturas,
ojos y organos digestivos.
Donde el miedo y las preocupaciones de la vida no nos llegue a destrozar el corazon.

Donde nuestros hijos e hijas ya no tendrán que esperar un docena de años para
volvernos a ver… a acariciar… a abrazar… a disfrutar

Donde nuestros padres no mueren solitos… sin la tierna caricia de sus hijos, nietos y
sobrinos.

Migrante… eres amor, ternura, canela pura
Migrante (in)migrante… no quieres ser mi amante?

###

“No hay cien años que no reviente … ni esclavo que lo aguante”

*

Laura Rivas es una activista de derechos humanos y poeta en desarrollo. Ella trabajó por la Red Nacional Pro Derechos Refugidos e Inmigrantes (www.nnirr.org), organizando con comunidades y documentando violaciones para defender nuestros derechos humanos.

No comments: